From the Heart Schools Program
Our program began in 2009 with 20 students from Treeview Elementary School in Hayward. The goal of our program at that time was to show these students that no matter how tough they thought their lives were, there were people in other parts of the world who had even less than they did. That year, these 20 students raised $221, which went towards the purchase of two wheelchairs bound for Chile.
Since then, From the Heart has grown to include more than 50,000 students from more than 50 schools that raise up to $100,000 annually.
Program Objectives Include
- Raising Awareness about the need for Mobility in the World
- Sensitizing students and teachers to the issues faced by people with intellectual/developmental and physical disabilities
- Fundraising to provide wheelchairs for those in need.
From the Heart School Program is part of the Wheelchair Foundation, based in Danville CA.
- Since the inception of the Wheelchair Foundation in 2000, the Wheelchair Foundation has distributed more than 1,080,000 wheelchairs to over 155 countries around the world.
- Each wheelchair costs $150 to manufacture (in China) and deliver to a developing country.
- 280 wheelchairs fit into an ocean freight container so our FTH goal is to raise at least $42,000 each year. ( 150 x 280 )
- The money raised in FTH is used to deliver wheelchairs to the poorest counties in Latin America.
If your school would like to join us in helping to make a difference in the world by delivering HOPE, FREEDOM, DIGNITY, and MOBILITY, please contact our Director of Community Outreach, Barbara Bosse at firstname.lastname@example.org or by filling out the contact form below.